Alrighty! So if you are already in this article, I would guess that you are ready to set-up and install Google Tag Manager or you’ve already set-up one of Google’s business or marketing tools. Without further ado, let’s get down to business!
1. To start off, you need to have a Google account. Well, actually for all of Google’s tools, you need to have a Google account, so if you already have a Google Analytics or Data Studio or others then, you’re good to go. But, if you don’t, just simply create one. Once you’re logged in, search Google Tag Manager and you’ll land to the screen below.
2. Next, click the START FOR FREE. You will be asked to create a new account and a Container setup:
Container is composed of a set of rules, macros and tags. A container can be a web, IOS, Android and AMP. Basically, the places where your data will be coming from.
3. Click on the Create button.
4. Then, you will be required to put a check mark indicating you accept the policies in place after reviewing the Service Term Agreement.
5. Then, the page will be redirected to the GTM workspace and a pop-up will display with the Google Tag Manager code that you will copy and paste on every page of your website or App. See sample below:
6. Just click the OK or X to close the pop-up. If you want to see the Google Tag snippets again, you can find it by clicking the GTM Code at the top right corner of your workspace.
7. Now, you have to Install the tag container to your website or app accordingly following the instructions on the Install Tag Manager pop-up. The instruction for installing the tag container depends on where you will install the tag.
Now, you are all set!
You have successfully added the setup and installed Google Tag Manager on your website or application!